YCSO Explorer Program
The Yuma County Sheriff’s Office Explorer Program is designed to provide young men and women who may be interested in a career in law enforcement with a comprehensive program of training, competition, service and practical experiences. The program helps prepare Explorers to become better citizens and community members through character development, physical fitness, good citizenship and patriotism. Through their involvement in the program, Explorers develop an awareness of the purpose, mission and objectives of law enforcement agencies.
The YCSO Explorer Program is part of a national Learning for Life program, which is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. The YCSO Explorer Post 8066 is headed by an Advisor and Associate Advisors who volunteer their time to the program. These officers and civilian employees train and educate Explorers in a number of law enforcement subjects as well as in the YCSO operations.
Although Explorer Post 8066 is law enforcement oriented, Explorers are volunteers and do not serve as Sheriff's Office employees, sworn or civilian.
Click link to download brochure with more detailed information: YCSO Explorer Program Brochure
Any male or female young adult, between the ages 14 (and completed the 8th grade) through 20 years, who meet the program qualifications may apply.
Explorer candidates must:
- Be enrolled in a formal educational program or have a high school diploma or GED.
- Maintain a "C" average (70%) or higher.
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident alien residing full-time in the United States.
- Not have any felony convictions or other serious criminal convictions.
- Not be involved with gangs, drugs, or illegal activity.
- Be of good moral character.
- Have a strong sense of commitment and discipline.
- Pass a background investigation.
- Be able to attend Explorer meetings.
- Be willing to volunteer their time to attend Explorer functions.
- Be willing to commit to the Explorer Code and exemplify the professional image of the Yuma County Sheriff's Office.
NOTE: All prospective Explorers must attend four (4) meetings prior to receiving an Explorer Application packet.
For more information regarding the YCSO Explorer Program, or to confirm meeting dates and times, contact:
Sgt. Frank Pereda, Advisor
Tel: (928) 783-4427, Ext. 3218
Tel: (928) 783-4427
Tel: (928) 783-4427