Open All  |  Close All
Patrol Bureau F.A.Q.
This section has been created to answer common questions about some of the Yuma County Sheriff's Office procedures and/or services. If you need further assistance, please call (928) 783-4427.

1. How do I know if I should dial 9-1-1 or the regular police non-emergency number?
If the situation is life threatening or there is a crime in progress call 9-1-1. If you want to report a crime that has already occurred, report suspicious activity, have a non-emergency situation, or have a question,call (928) 783-4427.
2. Why did it take two hours for an officer to come to my house when my house was burglarized?
A patrol officer will respond to your home; however, calls are prioritized according to the seriousness of the situation. Top priority calls include any life threatening call with great possibility of death or serious injury, or any confrontation between people which could threaten the life or safety of any person.  Priority calls include calls involving any crime in progress which might result in a threat to injury of a person, or major loss of property, or immediate apprehension of a suspect. It also includes accidents with injury or other traffic incidents that create a traffic hazard. 

Lower priority calls includes minor in-progress/just occurred calls where there is no threat of personal injury or major loss of property as well as nuisance calls, civil standbys, and any incident which could be categorized as a delayed report where the reporting person is at a public location and calls dispatched involved events where a delay will not prevent a crime from occurring, aid in an immediate apprehension of a suspect or cause a delay in an injured person receiving aid.
3. What can we do about speeding on our street?
Contact Sgt. David Pospisil at (928) 783-4427 and request a traffic enforcement detail be conducted in your neighborhood.
4. If I suspect drug activity, a drug house or meth lab in my neighborhood, who do I call?
To report suspected drug activity or meth lab, call the Yuma County Narcotics Task Force at (928) 317-4808.

You can also submit a tip on this web site with as much information as possible and the information will be forwarded to the Yuma County Narcotics Task Force. You can remain anonymous. Click link to go to the YCSO Submit a Tip page.
5. How can I get information or sign up for the Watch Your Car program?
For information or to sign up for Watch Your Car Program, contact the Arizona Automobile Theft Authority at 1-888-668-4433. You can also register for the program online by clicking on the following link: Watch Your Car Program
6. Where can I get information on concealed weapons permits?
Applications for a concealed weapons permit must be made to the Arizona Department of Public Safety. For information pertaining to concealed weapons within the state of Arizona you can contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety Concealed Weapons Permit Unit at the following numbers:

Tel: (602) 256-6280 or (800) 256-6280
Email: DPS Concealed Weapons Permit Unit

Click link to visit their website: Arizona Department of Public Safety Concealed Weapons Permit Unit
7. Where do I find out about motor vehicle registration
Contact the Motor Vehicle Department at (928) 317-2000 or visit their web site: Arizona Motor Vehicle Division
8. I want to start a Neighborhood Watch in my area. Who do I contact for information?
For information about starting a Neighborhood Watch, contact Sgt. Ryland Croutch at (928) 819-2212.
9. I'd like to engrave my property. Where do I get an engraver?
You can purchase engravers from any of the hardware stores. You can also use a black-light readable pen to mark items that you do not want to permanently mark or where engraving would damage or devalue the item. Black-light marking pens are available at most home improvement stores and need to be reapplied about once a year.
10. How do I find out about sex offenders living in my neighborhood?
For sex offender information, visit the Arizona Department of Public Safety's Sex Offender Info Center. This is the official website for Sex Offender information for the state of Arizona.

The purpose of the Arizona sex offender information website is to provide information to the public concerning the location of sex offenders within Arizona. You will be able to search for sex offenders by last name or zip code. You will also be able to find all sex offenders within a 3 square miles of a given address and view a list of all sex offender absconders.

You can also visit the Sheriff's Office OffenderWatch® website. OffenderWatch® is updated instantaneously throughout the day as offender addresses and other offender information is updated in our office. You may enter any address in the county and see real-time information on the publishable offenders within the specified radius of the address you enter.
11. Who do I call to report graffiti?
You can call the Graffiti Hotline at (928) 329-2828. They will make arrangements to paint over the graffiti.
12. My neighbor's dog is always barking. What can I do? Who can I call?

For animal control related issues, i.e. barking, bites or dogs running loose, contact:

Yuma County Animal Control
Tel: (928) 783-4427
Hours of Operation: 8am-5pm, Monday through Saturday 
Website: Yuma County Animal Control

City of Yuma Animal Control
Tel: (928) 373-4795 
Hours of Operation: 7:30 am-9:00 pm
Website: City of Yuma Animal Control

13. Can my dog(s) or cat(s) run loose?

For all animal control related issues, contact:

Yuma County Animal Control
Tel: (928) 341-8800
Hours of Operation: 8am-5pm, Monday through Saturday 
Website: Yuma County Animal Control

City of Yuma Animal Control
Tel: (928) 373-4795 
Hours of Operation: 7:30 am-9:00 pm
Website: City of Yuma Animal Control

14. Where can I obtain information about off-highway vehicle laws and regulations?
The Arizona Game and Fish Department provides this information. Click the link to download their informational brochure: Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Guide, OHV Laws and Places to Ride or you can visit their web site:Arizona Game and Fish Department
15. Where can I obtain information about the Arizona boating laws and regulations?
The Arizona Game and Fish Department provides this information. For a complete handbook of the Arizona Boating Laws and Responsiblities, click link: The Boater's Guide of Arizona or you can visit their web site: Arizona Game and Fish Department
16. Where can I go to dispose of expired, unused or unwanted prescription drugs??
The YCSO Main Office located at 141 S. 3rd Avenue and the Foothills Substation located at 13190 E. South Frontage Road serve as full-time drop-off locations for the YCSO’s prescription drug take-back program.

The YCSO’s prescription drug take-back program offers the public a means to dispose of their expired, unused or unwanted prescription drugs. This program helps get outdated or unused medications off household shelves and out of the reach of children and teenagers. This is a free service.

The misuse of prescription drugs is a growing problem nationally. Teenagers often use prescription drugs from family medicine cabinets to get high for the first time - 2,500 teenagers a day, according to a survey by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration. In addition, many people do not know how to properly dispose of their unused medicine, often flushing them down the toilet or throwing them away - both potential safety and health hazards.

Medications may be dropped off in their original container or in a sealable bag. All of the medications collected from this program are turned over to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency for disposal.

Acceptable items include:

  • All expired, unused or unwanted controlled and non-controlled medications
  • Vitamins
  • veterinary medication
  • Over-the counter medications
  • Liquid products(liquids such as cough syrup should remain sealed in their original container)
The following items are not acceptable:
  • Needles
  • Syringes
  • Lancets
  • Thermometers
  • IV bags
  • Chemotherapy drugs or liquids of any type
  • Intra-venous solutions
  • Illegal substances such as marijuana or methamphetamines

For more information regarding prescription drug disposal, click link: How to Dispose of Unused Medicines (PDF)

Additional Resources:

17. Is there a noise ordinance in Yuma County that would apply to loud music?
There are no ordinances governing noise in Yuma County, however, ARS 13-2904 is applicable in cases of unreasonable noise. ARS 13-2904 requires a victim for enforcement action to be taken, therefore a complaint would have to be made in order for officers to file a report or issue a citation to the person causing the disturbance.